Today Ernst & Young, the global consulting company, released a detailed report on the development of the IT industry in Belarus, which provides the actual data on its state and some forecasts for the coming years. SumatoSoft took part in this research as a member of High Tech Park and shared the industry insights and its vision. We’d like to share some interesting stats and findings from the report.
- More than 85,000 people are employed in the sector of information and communication technologies (ICT) in Belarus, about 34,000 of which are in the IT products and services segment.
- The export of IT services and products has grown 30 times from 2005 to 2016. More than 90% of sales by Belarusian IT companies are carried out abroad.
- Belarus is in the 1st place in the overall Google Code Jam rating from 2003 to 2016.
- The annual growth of the staff of the majority of the HTP residents is expected to be within 15-20%.
- The IT industry is of strategic importance for Belarus. ICT accounts for 10.5% of GDP in the services sector and 5.1% of total GDP. IT services account for 3.2% of total exports.
- The software, developed by the HTP residents in 2016, was brought into service in 67 countries around the world. 49.1% of exports was to Western Europe, and 43.1% – to the United States.
- There is a large number of employees with higher education in the IT industry in Belarus – about 76%, while on average, their number is no more than 30% in the economy.
- Just 5 years ago there were few developers who speak English, and now most highly qualified specialists can speak it fluently.
More details you can find in the report shared.
We’re very glad to be a part of a great fast-growing IT community of Belarus which gets the international appraisal and recognition!